Thursday 2 August 2012

Lakshmi Manchu ties Rakhis to Manoj and Vishnu







Kaju barfi, I love it!” exclaims Lakshmi Manchu, digging into the diamond-shaped delicacy. On a busy day, armed with a box of sweets, Vishnu Manchu and Manoj Manchu took time off to visit sister Lakshmi on the sets of her game show, to celebrate Rakshabandhan. The brothers sure know what would bring a smile to their sister’s lips. 
    “My brothers are my biggest strength. No matter what I do, they are always there to support me,” says a beaming Lakshmi, flanked by her brothers. The camaraderie between the three siblings is apparent. Lakshmi, with a motherly air about her, ensures her brothers are seated comfortably before the interview and photoshoot. “You know, this is the first time the three of us are coming together for a picture. It has never happened before,” quips Lakshmi. “And what better day than Rakshabandhan,” cuts in Manoj. 
    Rakhi this year in the Manchu household is a special one, what with Lakshmi and Manoj sharing screen 
space for the very first time in the recently released Uu Kodathara Ulikkki Padathara (UKUP). “Our film has received tremendous response. Akka’s performance has been the talk of the town,” says a beaming Manoj. “Not many people know this, but akka is a powerhouse. No matter what she does, there is so much excitement and positivity around her that it rubs off on you.” 
    “The movie gave me the chance to act with my brother and other stalwarts from the industry. I got to see how Manoj has grown as an actor. Spending time with him on the sets was a different experience altogether,” quips Lakshmi. 
    Dressed traditionally, Lakshmi reminisces about the times the trio would celebrate Rakhi. “Rakhi has always been an intimate affair at home. Manoj would forever gift me stuffed toys. Vishnu on the other hand, being a gadget freak, would gift me expensive widgets. Till today, I have every gift my brothers have given me. I’m too sentimental to part with a single thing.” 

    While Lakshmi ribs Manoj about his shirt and baseball cap, Vishnu looks on, saying, “My bond with my sister is difficult to put in words. To me, Rakhi is a symbol of sibling love and affection. It reminds us that we are not alone. My sister is extremely special to me and she needs to be celebrated.” 
    With this year being special, one can’t help but quiz the brothers on the ‘special’ gift they plan on giving their sister. “I’ve already given Akka her gift — it’s the climax in UKUP. I directed the stunts in the sequence and it’s being talkedabout the most,” says an excited Manoj. Vishnu, on the other hand, plans to go with a non
materialistic gift. “Honestly, I’m at a loss this year. There is nothing I can give her to show how special she is to me. So, I’ve decided that the best thing to do is give Akka an IOU (I owe you) paper with my signature on it. She can use it to ask me for anything, anytime.” The brothers are however in agreement that when it comes to gifting, topping the previous year gets increasingly difficult. Would Manoj possibly think of directing Lakshmi in a film next year to outdo this year’s gift? “Direct Akka in a film? Gosh! No. It’s scary, considering how talented she is. I think I’m fine with just choreographing those stunt sequences,” laughs Manoj with Vishnu joining in. 
    Meanwhile, Lakshmi cuts 
in, saying, “Manoj and Vishnu think they can get away with the climax sequence and IOU paper respectively. But that’s 
not enough. I’m going to demand my gifts and dare they refuse me.” 

0 comments

Post a Comment